Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cloned Minds

(A Thomas Jefferson Education, Chapter Two)

I have been pondering lately what it really means to get an education.  What does it mean to be educated?  What are our goals for education?  This book has been great in exploring some of these ideas.

DeMille divides education styles into three types:  Public, Professional, and Leadership.

He says that Public education teaches us WHAT to think.  Professional education (law school, medical school, MBA and CPA programs, etc.) teach us WHEN to think.  But a Leadership education (also referred to as a Thomas Jefferson Education) teaches us HOW to think.

DeMille covers a short history of education and points out that our current educational system is not necessarily "normal," but rather a relatively recent development.  Previously, the wealthy were educated at home with mentors and tutors, the middle-class had private schools and apprenticeships, and public schools were created to give poor and low-class children the opportunity to develop the skills and abilities to enter the work force and contribute to society.

The problem is that now almost everyone goes to public school, some go to professional schools, and very few get the leadership education that we so desperately need our politicians and statesmen to have.  The public school system, due to inherent limitations, gives each student a cookie cutter education.

I loved the image of "cloning the American mind," because isn't that exactly what we're doing?  Isn't that exactly the problem?  How are we supposed to progress from one generation to the next and as a country if we are telling our children, "This is what your are supposed to know.  Nothing more, nothing less."  How do children take the step further, rise above, do more?  Many do, in my opinion, by great talent, exceptional teachers, or both.  But just think how much more could be accomplished, how many more minds could be inspired and cultivated, if they were given the opportunities of a true Leadership Education!

According to DeMille, a Thomas Jefferson Education consists of being a mentor to our children and then exposing them to as many classics as possible.  The approach is simple: Read, Write, Discuss.

This is in complete accordance with the ideas found in The Well-Educated Mind, and I'm excited to continue to try to apply these principles to my studies.  I'm going to read the classics including the books on the WEM list, I will write about what I read in my blog posts, and I hope those reading this will be interested in posting their thoughts and beginning a discussion with me.  Let's participate in the Great Conversation together!

1 comment:

  1. Dang, I am really thinking about getting this book. I've always felt that we don't give the people that lived long before us enough credit and could learn from them. I'm also a huge fan of Thomas Jefferson. I think he used that name in the title of his book to get my attention ;)

    ReplyDelete