Monday, February 18, 2013

Homeschool FAQ

My cousin sent me an email asking me some questions about homeschooling.  I decided my answers deserved to be their own blog post!  :)

Education and homeschooling are someof my favorite subjects to talk about, so I'll jump right in!

Why did I choose to homeschool?
I can answer this question because I made the decision that I would homeschool my kids a longtime ago. The answer is complex though. I could write pages andpages, (heck, probably even a whole book,) about this topic alone. The short answer? A lot of reasons. :) More specifically though,my number one reason is that I want to be super involved in mychildren's education, right front and center. Maybe this makes me acontrol freak, but I want to be the one making the decisions aboutsomething that I consider so incredibly precious and obviouslyinfluential in their lives. Almost all my other reasons seem to besupported by or related to that first reason. I want to be able toteach gospel principles within the context of every other subject. Iwant my children to have the educational freedom to choose how,where, and what to study. I want instill in them a love of learningthat seems far too often to be crushed out of kids in public schools. To a certain extent, I want to protect my children from what goes onin schools, but I must admit that that reason is very low on my list. :)

Would I suggest homeschooling toothers?
Yes, but it depends. I don't believethat everyone should homeschool. I don't believe that it's the rightfit for every mother or every child. I do believe strongly though,in awareness of educational options. I think far too many people buyinto the system of public schools because “that's just whateverybody does.” Regardless of the end decision I believe parentsneed to be well-informed about the options and what they entail, andthen to be intentional in the execution of their choice. Additionally, I think that no matter what they choose, they need tobe sincerely interested and involved in the education of theirchildren. (Judging from your interest in this topic and thequestions you are asking, I'd say your golden in this respect.) :) Although I don't consider homeschooling to be for everyone, I dobelieve it would be the right choice for far more people than arewilling to consider it. Too many moms underestimate their ownabilities and overestimate the difficulty of homeschooling. It ishard, and there will be times you think you're going to lose yourmind. But the truth is that it IS manageable and incrediblyfulfilling... much like motherhood itself. :)

What do I think about private schools?
I think they are a great option alongwith charter schools, both wonderful alternatives to public schools. Most of them have some central focus or goal, and as long as thatlines up with your desires for your kids education then it will workout great. The great thing about a private school would be that youcould reap many of the desirable benefits of homeschooling, such asgospel integration, smaller class sizes, and better teachers withouthaving to take on the entire responsibility yourself. Beyond that, Idon't know very much about them.

Do I have any book suggestions?
Tons. Haha! I'm reading a bunch rightnow, a few that I have read before. Most of them are reallyinspiring and motivating.  The books that I am reading are mostly about education ingeneral and different specific methods of homeschooling. A Thomas JeffersonEducation is the shortest one, and it's packed full of greattheories. I LOVE this book called The Well-Educated Mind, but it'smore about self-education than about homeschooling, but a lot of thesame principles come into play. And the lady who wrote it wroteanother book with her mother called The Well-Trained Mind (itactually came first) that is all about teaching your children. I'veread some of that one, but haven't finished it yet. I'm reading aseries of books by Charlotte Mason. She has a whole method ofhomeschooling based on her theories and ideas. And there are a bunch of books by aman named John Holt who started the Unschooling movement. I intendto read some of those after I finish the ones I'm working on rightnow. :P There is a really good book called Teach the Children, butI haven't finished it yet either. It's just really long and takes alot of concentration to understand. But the ideas and principlespresented are amazing.

Is it hard?
Again, though my experience is limited,I can answer this question in part because I was homeschooled andcarefully observed my mother especially as I grew and matured andeventually realized that this was what I was going to do when Ibecame a mother. Homeschooling IS challenging. There's no doubtabout that. To say that it was easy would be to undermine the effortand thought that homeschooling mothers put in, not to mention theimportance of what they are trying to accomplish. The difficultycomes not in the ways you might think though. For most I wouldventure to say that the hardest part is dealing with family andfriends questioning, worrying, and even judging you for your choice. Add in your own fears and insecurities as you go along, wondering,“Am I making the right choice? Will they turn out alright? Arethey learning what they should?” and many more questions. Thisleads to high degree of anxiety, though I feel sure the severity ofwhich depends highly on your personality type and confidence in yourdecision. I feel very blessed in that respect, because I not onlyhave a personality which is not very anxiety prone, but I also haveadvantage of being homeschooled myself. So I feel a high degree ofconfidence in my choice to homeschool and I have a fairly clearconception of how I intend to go about it. Another great challenge,and the one I feel certain will be my struggle for the rest of myhomeschooling years, is trying to run a successful homeschool whilestill accomplishing all of the responsibilities of a regularstay-at-home mom. There is an obvious time-crunch here. It meanssacrificing certain things and becoming more efficient and organizedin other things. This is the “problem” that I find myselfstriving to solve before I even begin so that I can be sufficientlyprepared for the upcoming hurdles.

Am I glad I chose to homeschool?
I can't really answer this questionbecause I have obviously onlyhad limited experience with it so far, although I am consideringthis year to be my first year of homeschooling for real. ;) I guessthe one thing that I can add to this topic is that the only time thatI have doubted whether or not I really wanted to homeschool is whenmotherhood and housekeeping have overwhelmed me and I've thought howblissful it would be to send the kids off one by one into the publicschools for the day! Haha! But, in the end, I feel confident andabsolutely sure that this is what I want. The benefits are worth thesacrifice to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment