Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Homeschooling 101

I tend to be a bit of a purist when it comes to homeschooling, in the sense that I want to keep it as simple and straightforward (and inexpensive) as possible. Also, I believe the concept that certain things need to be learned at certain ages is, to at least some degree, false and simply a product of organized public education. In some ways it pains me to say this because I'm a planner and list-maker and I like having systems and routines to what I do. But I'm convinced that the best way for me to take full advantage of all that homeschooling has to offer is to, within certain limits and constraints, allow my children to study what they want, when they want.

That being said, there is a natural order to knowledge. When we look at reading for example, it is obvious that first we must teach our children the names of the letters. They need to be able to recognize and label them correctly. The next logical step when they have sufficiently mastered this is to start associating sounds to each letter, and once they know each letter has a certain sound they can begin to string the sounds together. In math we begin with labeling numbers, and then we begin to associate numbers of objects to the numbers themselves. It's a natural thing to then begin asking, “How many will we have if we add one more?” I know this is all quite obvious, but sometimes we forget just how simple learning really is.

All of the things that you have probably already begun teaching your child lead quite naturally to later more complex subjects. Letters lead to reading. Numbers lead to math. Coloring and shapes lead to writing. Animals and body parts lead to science. Reading stories together leads to history. In my view, it is all so deliciously simple and elegant!

You have a huge store of knowledge and starting out homeschooling is truly as simple as just beginning to share what you know in its most basic form. The great thing about these first several years is that, in my opinion, we don't need a curriculum or tons of school materials. It's easiest to just work with whatever toys, objects, books, crayons and paper that you already own. But perhaps you aren't worried about right now; maybe you're looking to the future when all of the subjects start getting more complicated and maybe even past what you're comfortable teaching. In that case, and even if you just want more to work with during this stage, there are LOTS of options and resources.  A simple web search will provide you with a starting point.

As far as what to teach when, I'm sure you can find guides to what is required in the school system and other people's ideas of what ought to be expected. I still stick to my belief that your children benefit from not being rushed along or held back according to these plans. Better to let their natural curiosity and love of learning lead them to what they are most interested in. The truth is that life leads us to the things we most need to learn simply by doing what we normally do.

What I mean by that is that when you are setting the table you can ask your child, “How many grown ups are there? How many kids are there? How many when we add them together?” This is math for the real world and it is simple enough for a preschooler. In several years you'll find yourself sitting down to cut an apple which leads to a discussion about fractions and/or division. History will present itself in the form of certain holidays. Science comes up every time you go outside. These things will become increasingly natural as you practice and pursue your own education. All it really takes is being conscientious about it. And as you create an atmosphere of learning in the home, providing whatever is necessary to inspire your kids to seek more knowledge, they will begin to do much of the leading themselves.

This is the way I see things. Again, almost any homeschooler you talk to will give you a slightly different take on what they see as being ideal. And that's the beauty if it! :D

1 comment:

  1. Shauna, thank you for taking the time to post this.

    I have been drawn to the idea of homeschooling for a while now, and I am encouraged by the amazing mothers I have met (like yourself!) that homeschool their children. James will be three in May so I am beginning to think about it more seriously, but worry about my ability to do it well, especially when he begins to get a little older. Your post helped me realize that his education does not need to be compartmentalized by his age or "grade". Rather, his curious nature and inate desire to learn leads him (and I believe all children, if they are allowed to) to learn by simply experiencing life and the world around him. My job as his mother is to facilite and direct his learning.

    Also, I want you to know that it is because of you I first had a desire to homeschool. I always enjoyed our visits together and you always spoke so passionately about your own homeschooling experience. You're an awesome example! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete