Monday, April 22, 2013

The Power of Analogy

Last week my three-year-old and I finished reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  I try to read a chapter to her out of  a classic everyday.  I'm not quite as consistent with it as I would like to be, so it has taken us a while to get through the whole book, but it was SO worth it.

I found myself choking up in nearly every chapter.  The parallels to the gospel may be obvious, but in a way that made it more powerful to me.  There is something about analogies and parables that flesh out the details and nuances of a concept or event that can be difficult to successfully express any other way.

Here I just want to share a few of my favorite parts:

In chapter 10, the Witch's spell is beginning to break so Father Christmas is able to visit.  He brings the gifts for each of the children.  The setting is exciting and optimistic.  The magical moment for me is when he is going to leave and shouts out, "Long live the true King!"  I get chills.  Why?  Because I can feel the spirit testifying to me that Christ really is the true King!  Even Father Christmas, a magical and important man himself, shows respect, reverence, and devotion to the true King.

Chapter 12 is about Peter's first battle when he fights a wolf that was attacking his sister.  After quite a struggle he succeeds in killing it.  When he turns to Aslan, He quietly rebukes him, "You have forgotten to clean your sword."  After Peter does so, Aslan knights him and then reminds him, "Never forget to clean your sword."  This is a powerful message about repentance.  Sometimes we are tempted, and often we find ourselves doing battle with the enemy.  It is essential that we always remember to
repent and purify ourselves.

Chapters 14 and 15 are the most poignant to me.  They convey in simple yet powerful terms the truth of the most significant even in history, the Savior's Atonement.  I wish I could do it justice in this post, but it is far better that you just go out and read the book yourself.  It is short and a quick read, and well worth your time!

All I will say is that we are all Edmund.  We have all sinned.  But Aslan was willing to give himself up for Edmund's sake, just as Christ gave Himself for our sake.  These are powerful parallels.

Analogies and parables have the unique power to carry the messages and truths contained therein right to the heart of those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.  The spirit speaks to me through the words in this book.  I have gained a deeper testimony of the Plan of Salvation and of the life and atonement of Jesus Christ.  I know He lived, died for me, and lives again!

No comments:

Post a Comment